Wednesday, December 9, 2009

DIY Baby Shower Invites!

Well, I love a party! And for my upcoming baby shower, I couldn't help but take on the challenge of coming up with the perfect invitation design.

Sure, I could have purchased a couple of packs of those tiny pre-made notecards and envelopes at my local Target, but when you're a graphic designer, people just expect a little more. It's funny because I love purchasing art from other artists - but when my friends and family come over for a visit, they constantly ask me if my purchases are my own creations. I have to remind them that we artists love to support one another, and we're allowed to buy art too!

So after hours of deep thought (well, and playing around with Adobe Illustrator), here is the design I came up with:

I started by designing a template in both pink and blue - at the time, we weren't sure what we were having. After two gender confirmations (it's a bouncing baby boy!), I was finally ready to proceed with the printing. Each of my invitations is 4" x 6" in size, so it was easy to head to my local craft store and purchase some silvery A6 envelopes to match. I also bought some "baby boy" scrapbooking stickers to seal each one. So cute!

This design can actually be created by anyone - even without the design software. I discovered that three little touches made all of the difference:

1. Ribbon
2. Crystals
3. Rounded Edges

All three can be found in most craft stores. You'll need a hole punch too. I punched a hole about 1/2 inch from the top of each invitation. Then I tied a few inches of ribbon through and made a nice little bow. The next step was finding the perfect spot for a bit of sparkle. In my case, there was a tiny heart next to my pregnant silhouette. I added a dab of gem glue - and ta-da! - instant glamour.

The rounded edges were created by an edge-rounding device, a little secret that can make just about any card look fabulous! These are also available at most craft supply stores. All crafters must invest in one.

So the next time you're thinking about sending out a party invitation, remember that a few extra details can make all the difference. Keep on creating!

1 comment:

  1. Your invitations were soooo cute and I just knew you had designed them yourself! Great job, they're awesome.

    ReplyDelete